Wednesday, February 26, 2014

26 weeks pregnant + a sick toddler


As of Monday, I am 26 weeks pregnant! This means only 1 more week until third trimester! Is it horrible that I haven't even started her nursery yet, minus filling her closet with adorable outfits? We're waiting on her crib set to be delivered so we can match paint colors to it. Not much time left!

Also as of Monday, I have a sick toddler. Ezra woke up on Monday morning and was pretty fussy while I got his breakfast ready, which is odd. He usually frolics around the kitchen, or waits at the fridge for me to pour him some milk.


Obviously I should've known something was wrong when he barely smiled through all of breakfast.
Then, he was acting sluggish while he played in the living room and was laying his head down on my lap while he stood to watch Bubble Guppies, so I put him down for a nap an hour early.
He woke up and I got him dressed and noticed his chest was extremely warm to the touch, so I took his temperature just in case. The thermometer read 104.1 F. I kinda freaked out. He's never had a temperature over 100.4 in his whole life, not even when teething. I took his temp again just to be sure. I was almost out of tylenol for him and didn't want to give him any just yet because he wasn't acting like it bothered him. He was actually happier than he was in the morning.


I finally gave him some tylenol around 1:30 pm and he took another nap, but his fever stayed above 103 so I made him an appointment for that evening with the on call pediatrician. She checked his ears, which I knew weren't infected, and then swabbed his throat for strep. I figured it might be strep considering he acted like it hurt to swallow and he didn't have any other cold symptoms. But, the test came back negative within 20 minutes. She told me they would keep the culture and call if it appeared to be strep in the next couple of days, but that he probably just had the virus going around and to bring him back on Thursday if he still had a fever.


He cuddled Gram almost the entire doctor's appointment. It was sad to see him like this, because he's usually always running around and exploring.
We got home from the doctor at 7pm, Marcus was just getting home from work, and we bathed him and got him ready for bed. His temp was now at 102.9 so I gave him some Tylenol so that he wouldn't be too miserable to sleep. He woke back up at 11pm, also unusual, and it was 102.6. Then he woke up again at 1am and it was 104.5, the highest it had been. He chugged an entire sippy cup of water and we gave him more Tylenol.

I turned off his light and was about to lay him back down in his crib, but he cuddled his head into my neck and just laid there. He only cuddles when he's not feeling good. I just held him for a few minutes and prayed with him. He was practically asleep on me, so I laid him down and barely made it out of his room before I broke down crying. I had never seen my baby like this before, so upset and obviously feeling terrible. He was shivering when he woke up and I worried his fever would get even higher and he'd have delusions or worse, a seizure. The doctor said it wasn't "dangerous" until he reached over 105.5, but I worried it would go up while I was sleeping. Marcus and I went back to bed and prayed for him together and then fell asleep. Marcus woke up extra early to go get him some Motrin before work since the Tylenol didn't seem to be working. Ezra didn't wake up until his usual time of 7am. I was going to give him Motrin but his fever had gone down to 99.5! Whew.


He was back to his silly self at breakfast that morning, which was good to see.
He took his morning nap earlier than usual and woke up with a fever of 102.5, so I tried the Motrin. Then he started acting sluggish again.


We watched Paw Patrol while he sat on the couch and read his little Bible.
 He took a long afternoon nap and woke up with a temp of 99.


He immediately found his tube of mini m&m's on the table and asked for some. He absolutely deserved some. After eating like 7 of them and drooling chocolate all over his shirt, he walked around shaking the rest of the m&m's in the tube like a maraca. Before bed his temp was 101.5. Thankfully he drank a lot all day and ate pretty normally. 
He woke up at 10pm again. He normally sleeps 7pm-7am, so instead of just letting him fall back asleep, I checked on him. He was burning up so I took his temp and it was 104 again. I gave him Motrin so he could sleep and he slept until 6am. I went in to his room, took his temp (it was 103.8 - ugh), gave him water and put him back to bed. He slept 3 more hours.



I guess he needed the sleep because he woke up with a normal temperature of 98.6! The lowest it's been in 2 days! Also, check out that awesome bed head he's got going on.

I'm praying it stays down all day today. Yesterday morning was better and then it spiked again after his first nap. I'll just have to keep an eye on it.
I'm thankful he's gone almost 15 months without ever getting a fever. It's horrible to see him sick like that. I'm sure it could've been worse - at least he's had some happy moments in the midst of all of this. Nasty unexplained viruses are not fun. Thank you to all our friends and family who have prayed for him and us the past 2 days! 
Ezra is currently climbing on the couch and throwing legos across the living room. Love that kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment