Monday, February 23, 2015

winter sickies & birthdays.

The Meiklejohn household has been a sick bunch lately. Ezra & Selah have had colds for what seems like months but they're just now seeming to clear up. Their colds turned into hacking coughs two weeks ago so I planned on taking them both in to get checked out on Tuesday (Feb. 10th) to make sure nothing had settled in their lungs. The night before I took them to their pediatrician, Ezra threw up but I figured it was from coughing really hard. The next day, the ped said they both had ear infections - Selah had a double, Ezra's was just his right ear. They started antibiotics and I gave Ezra a probiotic as well so that he (hopefully) wouldn't get diarrhea from his strong antibiotic. Well, he got diarrhea anyway. After finishing his 5 day antibiotic, he still had diarrhea and the next week on the 18th, he had a fever of 104 and he threw up. 

Ezra has his happy moments while sick, but he's also been pretty clingy and fussy through all of this.

So, I took them back in last Wednesday the 18th to make sure Ezra hadn't developed an infection in his other ear and to make sure Selah's were clearing up since she was acting extra fussy. Selah's ears were clearing up but she was cutting her second tooth which explains her fussiness, and Ezra's ears were doing great but his fever and vomiting were most likely from a stomach bug. 


Last Sunday the 15th, before Ezra started throwing up and had a fever, I came home from church and felt downright terrible. I had a stomach bug. I didn't know where it came from, but I thought that maybe Ezra throwing up the previous week before we even realized he had an ear infection was the start of a stomach bug, and then I had it bad on Sunday and Monday, and then Ezra got his fever and vomiting again on Tuesday and maybe his diarrhea was from this virus rather than his antibotic and... oh my goodness. So much sickness. Who knows where it all started, but Ezra & I had it. I started feeling better by Tuesday. Thursday was Marcus' 25th birthday and we hung out with some other couples at our church small group. We went home, watched a movie and went to bed. Friday morning I woke up and checked Facebook and it seemed like everyone in town was sick, including almost everyone who we spent time with Thursday night! Marcus woke up Saturday with major body aches and nausea. I have never seen him sick in the 5 years we've been together. I felt terrible. He went to work and was feeling a little better by evening when we had his family over for a game night for his birthday. Sunday he woke up feeling even worse and several people from church weren't there because they were battling this same stomach virus. Today, Marcus is even worse but it's busy season at work and he has tons to do so he's trying to get it all done. Having so much work and not being able to rest much probably isn't helping him get better. Oh, and Selah woke up this morning with a runny nose, so I'll be so thrilled if she caught another cold... *rolls eyes* 

She's a messy eater.

So, it's been a pretty nasty few weeks of illness and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. It's really hard being sick and taking care of your sick kiddos. Thankfully, Selah hasn't caught this nasty stomach virus but it seems to have hit Marcus the worst. Hopefully he'll be on the mend soon! I. Need. Summer. Please pray for health for our family, I don't think I can handle cleaning up any more bodily fluids! 

Two teeth have cut through!

I think Marcus still had a good 25th birthday this year, even though some of our celebrating this weekend wasn't as enjoyable for him thanks to not feeling well. I got up early with him to make him breakfast before he went to work on his birthday.


He got some sweet gifts from family like a new golf club & balls, cash & gift cards, a golf shirt, and Dunkaroos, which I ordered on eBay for him since they were his favorite childhood treat but they aren't sold in the U.S. anymore. 


The small humans & I went to visit him at work on his birthday and took him some Arby's and an Orange Julius drink. 


We also took cookies for his coworkers which everyone thought were delicious! They were so easy to make - just a box of cake mix (I used Funfetti), 1/3 cup of oil and 2 eggs. Mix together, put in balls on a cookie sheet, and bake at 375 for 10 minutes.


We watched a movie of his choice that night (Dumb & Dumber 2 - it was pretty funny) after coming home from hanging out with friends. On Saturday night, we had pizza & Funfetti cake with his siblings and cousins who came over for games, and on Sunday we went to Hacienda for Mexican food for lunch and then had a Dairy Queen Blizzard cake and games with my family.


It's a new week and I'm hoping by this weekend, we all feel 100% better because we're celebrating my birthday with my family on Saturday! We just need to stay locked up in our house for a while so we don't share our illnesses and no one gives us any new ones! To all my friends and family who are dealing with this stomach virus or other sickness, we're praying for you! 

Despite all the sickness, we will still try to have a happy Monday! I hope you have had a healthier week than we have. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment