Thursday, June 19, 2014

a letter to Selah - 10 days old

Selah is now 11 days old! Yesterday I wrote her a letter which is below, along with a letter I wrote her before she was born, and the letter I wrote Ezra when he was 9 days old.


May 23, 2014

Selah Lillian Joy,

I can’t wait to meet you. Today I am 38 weeks and 4 days pregnant with you which means you could come out any day now, but if you’re anything like your big brother, you’ll be staying put for a while. ;) I am trying to enjoy the last couple weeks with you squirming around inside my belly but I just can’t wait to see your face. I wonder if you’ll have hair, what color it will be, what color your eyes will be, if you’ll look like me or daddy, how little your feet will be… I just can’t wait to kiss your little face!

Having a daughter will be so much fun. I’ve always wanted a little girl to dress up in frills, to have tea parties with, and to become best friends with. Your Nanny would’ve loved to meet you. You are named after her: her name was Lillian, but everyone called her Lee. She was amazing, and she had one daughter: your Gram. And your Gram had one daughter: me. And now I have you (almost!).

I pray that you and your big brother Ezra get along and love each other. My older brother and I always butted heads, but I always knew that he had my back. He protected me. I hope Ezra does that for you. Your Uncle Jake and I didn’t really get along until I got married to daddy and moved out, but now we like each other. I hope Ezra protects you and loves you and plays with you. You’ll probably get beat up and you’ll probably annoy him, but he will always be your only big brother.

I am so excited to have two babies to love. Mommy & daddy love Ezra SO much and we know we will love you just as much. Our hearts will grow and we will love both of our small humans with all of our hearts. Daddy is so excited to have a daughter. You’ll be his little princess and he will adore you. I can’t wait to see you two together, even if he has no idea how to put a headband on or put your ruffle socks and slips on under your fancy dresses.

Enjoy your last few days in my belly, sweet girl. I love you so much already and I haven’t even seen your face yet. I can’t wait to meet you!

Love, Mama



June 19, 2014

My sweet Selah,

Yesterday you turned 10 days old. I can't believe how fast that went! From the moment you were born you were a mama's girl. You just wanted to be next to me, held by me and you wanted to nurse a lot! Everyone says you look just like me. I guess I must have a round face and a double chin. ;) It's amazing how life has changed just by you being here. Now that I'm not pregnant and exhausted anymore I feel like I can get back to myself and the wife & mom duties I have every day. I love taking care of you and your brother (and your daddy) every day. You make it easy - you rarely cry and when you do, it's just for a moment to let me know you're ready to eat again. Otherwise, you're content to just cuddle on someone's chest or even lay in your rock n play while I get stuff done around the house or give your brother lunch. You fit right in with our family. I didn't know how I could love someone like I love your brother but I just do. My heart has grown and you fill it perfectly. I can't wait to see you and your brother play together as you both get older. He'll teach you how to crawl and walk and eat and talk. You'll be best friends at some moments and enemies at others. But you'll always have each other. I'm so excited to watch you grow and even though I love having a little newborn to snuggle all day, I can't wait for you to get bigger! Raising you and your brother will be quite the adventure but it will be so amazing. I love you so much, Selah Lillian Joy.

Love, Mama


Just to reminisce, here's the letter I wrote to Ezra when he was about the same age:


December 7, 2012

My dearest Ezra,

It's hard to believe that just 9 months ago I didn't even know you were living in my belly. Now here we are, and my world has flipped upside down. You and daddy are my motivation - my 2 favorite boys. I didn't know I could love someone like I love you. You are my joy and the light of my life. Only 9 days with you here in the world and I don't know how we ever lived without you. I don't ever want you to get bigger - I want you to be momma's baby boy forever - but I can't wait to watch you grow up. It's an honor and a privilege to be your mother and I am amazed by you. I love you all the way around the world (and back).

Love, Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment