Saturday, December 13, 2014

Christmas cookie saturday

My best friend came "home" (she lives just over an hour away) this weekend to bake cookies with my mom & me - it's been a tradition of ours to do in each December for a while now! We were each other's maids of honor and I definitely don't get to see her enough. 


We made five different kinds of cookies and I'm so excited to eat all of them one of each kind! 


Get ready to drool.

First up was gingerdoodles (or snickersnaps) which is just snickerdoodle dough and molasses cookie dough smashed together to form one glorious cookie. They look delicious, they taste delicious and they're fun to say. They're also toddler approved. Ezra asked for one as soon as he saw them.




Then we made turtle cookies (we left off the chocolate drizzle). These require several steps to make, including chilling the dough, but I assure you they are worth it.




A classic that my mom has been making for as long as I can remember were what we call "Nanny cookies". There is no recipe for these, they're extremely simple: take two Ritz crackers. Slap some peanut butter in between them to make a sandwich. Melt some baking chocolate. Dip the peanut butter cracker sandwiches into the chocolate and then place on wax paper. Let the chocolate dry and then eat up! They're so simple and so delicious. We call them Nanny cookies because Nanny is my mom's mom. She passed away two summers ago but I only ever remember her having white hair. So when we made these cookies, before the chocolate hardened we topped them with coconut for hair and red hots for eyes and made a little smile on them so that they looked like Nanny. I remember taking them to kindergarten for treat day. I happened to make seven dozen of these bad boys today for my husband to take to work on Monday for a cookie exchange. I love that you can make as little or as many as you want with very little work and no need for an oven!



We made these cranberry Noel tea cookies (colorful cookies) but we subbed almond slivers for pecans. I have yet to try these but aren't they beautiful? I basically just want to have a tea party now.



The final kind we made which are probably my favorite: peppermint crunch dark chocolate cake mix cookies. All you need is a box of cake mix, some oil, some eggs and some peppermint chips! These were super quick to whip up (plus 20 minutes to chill the dough) and they are super delicious. They taste like Christmas. My husband doesn't like peppermint or dark chocolate, so it looks like I get these all to myself. You're welcome, thighs, because these cookies are going straight to you. 



Overall, it was a successful day of baking plus a trip to Hacienda Real for Mexican food for lunch (obviously) and I got to see my best friend, so today was awesome. I can't wait to tuck the kids in bed, cuddle up on the couch with a movie, a glass of milk and some cookies. Happy baking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment