Thursday, April 10, 2014

are you blessed?

I've been thinking a lot about the topic of God's blessings in our lives lately. I've wondered, what does the Bible say about God's blessings? Who does God bless? Does he bless some more than others? There are so many verses in the Bible about God's blessings and those who are blessed. It can be a bit overwhelming. 

Obviously, I want my life to be blessed by God. Who doesn't? I think sometimes, we expect God to bless us. We think, "I've been good, I bought a coffee for my co-worker last week. Certainly God should bless my life now." Or, "I prayed for this person and brought them a meal when they had surgery. I should receive great blessings now." Have you ever thought something like that? Other times, I mess up and think, "there's no way God will bless my life now." How could a sinner like me deserve God's blessings? 

I looked to the Bible for answers. Here's what I found.

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28 (ESV). 

This verse tells me that all things work together for good. Not some things, but all things will work together for good. But it also says "for those who love God". So if I don't love God, I shouldn't assume that everything in my life will work together for good then, right?

Let's look at more verses.

"Jesus replied, "But even more blessed are all who hear the word of God and put it into practice."" Luke 11:28 (NLT). 

Blessed. There's that word. "Put it into practice"... you can't get much more clear than that. If I obey the word of God, I will be blessed. It's not easy to obey the word of God every moment of my life. I sin daily. Multiple times daily. But the Bible tells me to repent of my sins. It isn't all over when I mess up - I haven't ruined my life or been doomed to a life that's out of God's blessing. I simply need to turn to Him to forgive me and then do my best, with His help, to turn away from my sins. 

"This is what the Lord says: "Be just and fair to all. Do what is right and good, for I am coming soon to rescue you and to display my righteousness among you. Blessed are those who are careful to do this. Blessed are those who honor my Sabbath days of rest and keep themselves from doing wrong. ... I will also bless the foreigners who commit themselves to the Lord, who serve him and love his name, who worship him and do not desecrate the Sabbath day of rest, and who hold fast to my covenant."" Isaiah 56: 1-2, 6 (NLT). 

To me, it seems pretty simple: do what is right and good, commit yourself to the Lord - blessed are those who do this. 

"Blessed are those who fear the Lord, who find great delight in his commands. Their children will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed." Psalm 112:1-2 (NIV). 

I often hear of people complaining that their life is spiraling down and wondering why everything is falling apart. Thanks to Facebook, I can openly read about the lives of people I know on a daily basis. I read a lot of complaints, a lot of anger, a lot of questioning, mostly from my friends who claim to be serving the Lord but are living a lifestyle that is totally not on track with the Bible. These people know what the Bible says about what they're doing, but they do it anyway. And then they wonder why things aren't going their way. Just saying you love God or going to church doesn't make you a follower of Christ. Just picking certain parts of the Bible to obey isn't okay with God.

"So why do you keep calling me 'Lord, Lord!' when you don't do what I say? I will show you what it's like when someone comes to me, listens to my teaching, and then follows it. It is like a person building a house who digs deep and lays the foundation on solid rock. When the floodwaters rise and break against that house, it stands firm because it is well built. But anyone who hears and doesn't obey is like a person who builds a house without a foundation. When the floods sweep down against that house, it will collapse into a heap of ruins." Luke 6:46-49 (NLT). 

I realize that I probably sound "preachy" right now, but this topic has been on my heart for a while. If certain friends of mine came to me for advice on why things in their life to be falling apart, I would tell them to go to God. I would tell them to read these verses and reflect on their own lives. I know that I want God's blessings on my life, and I know that I need to continually serve Him and follow His word. I can't follow God halfheartedly and still expect to receive His blessings on my life. God wants all of me, not just parts that I'm willing to give Him. 

I definitely don't deserve His blessings, but He gives them to me anyway. 
"We have all benefited from the rich blessings he brought to us-blessings upon blessings heaped upon us!" John 1:16 (TLB). 

I can't imagine where my life would be without God. I'd be lost. I am so thankful that He loves me enough to give me the Bible to turn to as a guide for my life. And I'm so thankful that He blesses me and my family abundantly even though I'm far from perfect. God is so good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment