Thursday, March 6, 2014

New Year's goals.

Well, we're already in the 3rd month of the year. By this point, most people have forgotten about or given up on their New Year's resolutions.

I prefer not to make resolutions each year. I don't know why, maybe because I don't like having to "resolve" something, especially if it's not necessarily "broken". But I do make goals every year.

For the past couple of years, a goal of mine is to read 5 books a year. I'm not a huge reader but once I find a good book, I usually can't put it down. I know that I'm missing out on a lot by not reading, especially when there are so many great books out there. I'm glad I made this goal - last year I read Riven and Blessed Child and both were absolutely amazing. I have yet to pick up a book this year... but I better get going because I won't have much time to fit in 5 books after baby Squirt makes her appearance in just 3 months! 

Another goal of mine for 2013 was to read the Bible every day. My grandma (I called her Nan) read the Bible every day for 52 years. She finished the entire Bible in one year, every year. She passed away on August 13, 2012, so since she could no longer read the Bible every year, my husband and I decided to read the Bible in a year, ending on the anniversary of her death. I'm so glad we did that! 

Every year I set the goal of learning more sign language. I don't know very much, and I feel like I quickly forget what I've learned, but I think it's important to know basic signs. Especially because sign language is helpful for children!

For 2013 I set a goal of getting healthier, drinking more water, and losing weight. Ezra was born in November of 2012 and I pretty quickly dropped my 26 lbs of pregnancy weight, but I wanted to lose more. It wasn't until April and warmer weather came around that I really focused on getting healthier and losing weight. I cut out soda and snacks, started green smoothies and juicing, really paid attention to food labels and tried to eat clean and healthy. I'm proud to say I dropped 35 lbs in just 4 months! ...and then I got pregnant again. ;) My goal for 2014 is to lose the pregnancy weight (plus even more) once Squirt arrives. I'm my best friend's matron of honor in August so that gives me a little over 2 months to try to get in shape after I give birth!

Left: Right after Z was born (Nov 2012) Right: After I lost all pregnancy weight plus 35 more lbs!

I also made more random goals, like making my bed every day, trying to always remember to wash my face each night, keeping the house organized, etc. I make these goals every year and usually stick to them. Also on my list this year is to stick to our budget, be more frugal (couponing, etc.) and being the best mom & wife I can be!

Do you make goals or resolutions? Do you manage to keep them all year or do you start to "forget" or give up after a couple months?




No comments:

Post a Comment