Tuesday, March 25, 2014

show love.

Do others know that you love Jesus? How do they know?
Is it because you have an "I love Jesus" bumper sticker on your car?

Is it because you post bible verses on Facebook?
Is it because you show compassion, generosity & love to others?

Anyone can grab a bumper sticker from the dollar store and slap it on their car. It's not difficult to share a verse as your status or to "check in" at church on Facebook. Those things don't show others that you're a true follower of Jesus Christ. Love does.

"Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples - when they see the love you have for each other." John 13:34-35

That grumpy cashier at the grocery store that you told to have a nice day - she will remember your smile. That cranky waitress that you tipped 25% - she will wonder why you were so kind for no reason. Your co-workers who seem to be in a bad mood every day of the week - they will wish they knew why you were always in such a good mood.

Pray and ask God to show you ways that you can show love to others. You'll be surprised how good it makes you feel, and you may not even realize the impact you're having on others. When you go out of your way to show love to others, it's likely that they'll remember that for a long time. Even if they never return the favor, even if they don't say thank you or appreciate you, even if they are still full of hate, show love. I love this quote from Mother Teresa: 


Jesus commands us to love one another the way he loves us. Jesus first loved us. He loves us even when we aren't grateful, even when we sin against him, and even when we didn't love him back. Love others in this way! Love is more than just a noun - it's a verb. Love requires action: show love. If you do, there will be people who will wonder how you're always showing love, being uplifting & spreading joy. They will want what you have. They will want Jesus, even if they don't realize it. 

When I die, I want people to know that I was a follower of Jesus. Not because I went to church each week, not because I had bible verses memorized, not because I wore a cross necklace, but because of the love I showed to others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment